Richards Outduels Clanton At Eriez Speedway, Completes Sweep of World of Outlaws Late Model Series Three-Race Weekend
West Virginia Driver Follows Friday and Saturday's Victories at Atomic Speedway with another Dominating Performance at Eriez on Sunday
ERIE, Pa. - Aug. 23, 2015 - Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va., wrapped up a perfect weekend on the World of Outlaws Late Model Series with a dominating victory in front of a near-capacity crowd Sunday night at Eriez Speedway.
Richards, who opened the national tour's three-race weekend with victories at Atomic Speedway in Chillicothe, Ohio, on Friday and Saturday, overtook WoO LMS points leader Shane Clanton of Zebulon, Ga., on lap 31 of Sunday's 50-lap A-Main at Eriez and cruised through the remainder of the caution-free race on his way to his ninth WoO LMS victory of the season and his fifth in the tour's past six races.
"That was a lot of fun. I love the fans up here and this is an awesome racetrack," said the 27-year-old Richards, whose third WoO LMS victory at Eriez marked the 58th series win of his career. "I had a lot of fun this weekend. It's a little surreal, but we're just gonna keep racing and doing what we love to do."
Richards' Valvoline-sponsored Rocket Chassis house car crossed the finish line 4.550 seconds ahead of Clanton, who settled for second in his Weldbank Energy Capital Race Cars house car. Frank Heckenast Jr. of Frankfort, Ill., was third in a Club 29 Race Car with Chub Frank of Bear Lake, Pa., fourth in a Longhorn Chassis and Max Blair of Centerville, Pa., fifth in a Rocket Chassis.
Starting from inside the second row, Richards went by second-starting Heckenast early and chased the polesitting Clanton through the opening laps. Clanton initially pulled away from Richards, but Richards began closing the gap when the two leaders reached traffic just after lap 10.
Richards pressured Clanton through traffic during the follow circuits and edged ahead at times. But it wasn't until lap 31 that he finally completed the pass and grabbed the lead for good.
Richards cruised from there, knifing his way through traffic in lapping all but the top 12 cars.
"Clanton was really good early," said Richards, who is now tied with Clanton for the most victories on this year WoO LMS tour. "I think we might have adjusted a little bit too far, and early in the race I was a little bit too free. I had to be really methodical through lapped traffic and try to get through there the best I could.
"The car was really maneuverable. I can't think my dad (Mark Richards of Rocket Chassis) enough. He's one of the smartest guys in the industry."
In settling for second, Clanton kept his string of strong finishes going with his sixth consecutive top-five result and his fourth straight finish of third or better. While he finished second to Richards for the second straight night, he still leads him in the series standings by a comfortable 154-point margin with seven races remaining on the tour's schedule.
"His car is just a little bit better than ours right now," Clanton said. "We'll go home and do some more homework and hopefully get one spot better. He's done his homework this past month and it's showing. We had it back at the beginning of the year, now we just need to get back on top. We're close, we just need to get a little bit better."
Making his first appearance at Eriez Speedway, Heckenast steadily improved all night after qualifying third fastest in his group and finishing second in his heat race. By the main event, he was well adjusted to the track thanks to its similarities with tracks in his home state.
"This place is pretty awesome," Heckenast said. "It's kind of like the tracks back home in Illinois. I think we were the only ones with that left-rear tire on, so I was pretty nervous, but it worked out alright. Josh is on kill right now, so I didn't really expect to beat him."
Rick Eckert of York, Pa., was sixth at the finish with Chase Junghans of Manhattan, Kan., seventh. In finishing eighth, Jared Miley of Pittsburgh, Pa., scored his third top-10 finish in three WoO LMS appearances this season. He was followed by Morgan Bagley of Longview, Texas, in ninth and Eric Wells of Hazard, Ky., in 10th.
Richards kicked off the night by setting fast time over the event's 38 entries with his lap of 15.038 seconds in the second of two qualifying groups. Frank was fastest in the first group at 15.096 seconds. Frank, Junghans, Richards and Clanton won the night's four heat races, while Greg Oakes of Franklinville, N.Y., and Boom Briggs of Bear Lake, Pa., won the Last-Chance Showdowns.
The WoO LMS takes the upcoming weekend off in preparation for a blockbuster Labor Day weekend in the Keystone State. The tour returns to Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, Pa., for the second annual Working Man 50 on Fri., Sept. 4 ahead of the final night of Lernerville's $30,000-to-win Firecracker 100, which was rescheduled to Sat., Sept. 5 from a rainout on June 27. The series wraps up the weekend with a visit to Selinsgrove Speedway in Selinsgrove, Pa., on Sun., Sept. 5.
Results of World of Outlaws Late Model Series at Eriez Speedway (Finishing Position/Start/Driver/Laps Completed/Money Won):
1. (3) Josh Richards/50 $10,700
2. (1) Shane Clanton/50 $5,550
3. (2) Frank Heckenast Jr./50 $3,550
4. (4) Chub Frank/50 $3,100
5. (5) Max Blair/50 $2,500
6. (8) Rick Eckert/50 $2,400
7. (7) Chase Junghans/50 $1,950
8. (10) Jared Miley/50 $1,300
9. (6) Morgan Bagley/50 $1,750
10. (9) Eric Wells/50 $1,650
11. (12) Bump Hedman/50 $1,100
12. (17) Greg Oakes/50 $1,050
13. (11) David Scott/49 $950
14. (18) Boom Briggs/49 $1,500
15. (13) Robbie Blair/49 $850
16. (19) Brandon Overton/49 $1,550
17. (19) Dylan Yoder/49 $770
18. (14) Chris Hackett/49 $750
19. (15) John Volpe/49 $730
20. (16) Jordan Yaggy/49 $700
21. (21) Matt Urban/48 $700
22. (24) Pancho Lawler/47 $700
23. (23) Tim McCreadie/37 $1,350
24. (25) Darrell Bossard/22 $725
25. (22) Mike Knight/8 $700
Time of Race: 14 Mins., 21 Secs.
Margin of Victory: 4.550 Secs.
Yellow Flags: None
Lap Leaders: Clanton (1-30), Richards (31-50)
Provisional Starters: McCreadie (WoO), Lawler (WoO), Bossard (track)
WoO LMS 'Bonus Bucks' Winner ($500): M. Blair
WoO LMS 'Rookie of the Race" ($250): Overton
Ohlins Shocks Time Trial Results (Position/No./Driver/Hometown/Best Lap):
1. 1*-Chub Frank, Bear Lake, Pa., 15.096
2. 18c-Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., 15.302
3. 99jr-Frank Heckenast Jr., Frankfort, Ill., 15.303
4. 111-Max Blair, Centerville, Pa., 15.349
5. 28-John Lobb, Frewsburg, N.Y., 15.371
6. 33-Chris Hackett, Erie, Pa., 15.391
7. WON11-Robbie Blair, Centerville, Pa., 15.452
8. H1-Jared Miley, Pittsburgh, Pa., 15.472
9. 18-Eric Wells, Hazard, Ky., 15.474
10. 11-Bobby Rohrer, Waterford, Pa., 15.570
11. 22G-Greg Oakes, Franklinville, N.Y., 15.593
12. 5-Brandon Overton, Evans, Ga., 15.653
13. 1U-Matt Urban, North East, Pa., 15.656
14. 1j-Jake Finnerty, Panama, N.Y., 15.786
15. 22B-Darrell Bossard, Centerville, Pa., 15.811
16. 9-Paul Briggs, Lakewood, N.Y., 15.840
17. 0-Ryan Scott, Garland, Pa., 16.089
18. 12B-Andy Boozel, Clymer, N.Y., 16.247
19. 99G-Scott Gurdak, Bear Lake, Pa., 17.194
1. 1-Josh Richards, Shinnston, W.Va., 15.038
2. 25-Shane Clanton, Zebulon, Ga., 15.236
3. 14m-Morgan Bagley, Longview, Texas, 15.327
4. 77-Jordan Yaggy, Rochester, Minn., 15.339
5. 53-John Volpe, Lakeville, N.Y., 15.436
6. 99B-Boom Briggs, Bear Lake, Pa., 15.455
7. 25s-David Scott, Garland, Pa., 15.463
8. 7-Rick Eckert, York, Pa., 15.488
9. 24-Dylan Yoder, Selinsgrove, Pa., 15.585
10. M1-Chad Wright, Springboro, Pa., 15.610
11. 39-Tim McCreadie, Watertown, N.Y., 15.664
12. 7L-John Lacki, Sinclairsville, N.Y., 15.837
13. 9K-Mike Knight, Ripley, N.Y., 15.840
14. B22-Bump Hedmon, Sugar Grove, Pa., 15.948
15. No7-Jason Dupont, Cyclone, Pa., 16.016
16. 44-Kyle Bedell, Little Valley, N.Y., 16.034
17. 76-Steve Kania, Erie, Pa., 16.091
18. 03-Doug Eck,Corry, Pa., 16.101
19. 93-Pancho Lawler, Glenville, Pa., 16.195
Heat No. 1 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Frank, Heckenast, Wells, R.Blair, Oakes, Urban, Bossard, R.Scott, Lobb, Gurdak.
Heat No. 2 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Junghans, Blair, Miley, Hackett, Overton, Rohrer, Finnerty, Boozel, P.Briggs.
Heat No. 3 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Richards, Bagley, D.Scott, Volpe, Yoder, McCreadie, Dupont, Knight, Kania, Lawler.
Heat No. 4 (10 laps - Top 4 Transfer): Clanton, Eckert, Hedman, Yaggy, B.Briggs, Eck, Bedell, Lacki, Wright.
Last-Chance Showdown No. 1 (10 laps - Top 3 Transfer): Oakes, Overton, Urban, Bossard, Rohrer, Lobb, Boozel, Gurdak, P.Briggs, R.Scott, Finnerty.
Last-Chance Showdown No. 2 (10 laps - Top 3 Transfer): B.Briggs, Yoder, Knight, Kania, Eck, Lawler, Dupont, McCreadie, Wright, Bedell, Lacki.
World of Outlaws Late Model Series Contingency Award Winners (awards presented to noted finisher/qualifier or next highest displaying decal):
Ohlins Shocks ($50 cash to fast qualifier): Richards
Comp Cams ($50 certificate to A-Main winner): Richards
MSD Ignition ($50 cash to A-Main winner): Richards
Quartermaster ($100 certificate to A-Main winner): Clanton
Wrisco (three sheets of aluminum/certificate to A-Main winner): Richards
Mobil 1 ($50 cash to 4th-place finisher in A-Main): Frank
JE Pistons ($50 cash to 5th-place finisher in A-Main): Eckert
Lincoln Welders ($50 cash to 6th-place finisher in A-Main): Eckert
VP Racing Fuels ($50 cash to 8th-place finisher in A-Main): Hedmon
Edelbrock ($50 cash to 9th-place finisher in A-Main): Bagley
Comp Cams ($50 cash to 10th-place finisher in A-Main): Wells
Cometic ($50 cash to 12th-place finisher in A-Main): Oakes
JRI Shocks ($50 cash to 13th-place finisher in A-Main): B.Briggs
Superflow Dynos ($50 cash to 14th-place finisher in A-Main): B.Briggs
Quartermaster ($25 certificate to 15th-place finisher in A-Main): Overton
JE Pistons (one set of rings certificate to 16th-place finisher in A-Main): Overton
Quartermaster ($50 certificate to 19th-place finisher in A-Main): Volpe
Mobil 1 (20 percent certificate to 20th-place finisher in A-Main): Lawler
JE Pistons (one set of rings certificate to 21st-place finisher in A-Main): Lawler
MSD Ignition ($25 cash to 24th-place finisher in A-Main): Bossard
QA1 ($50 to driver with fastest lap of the night): Frank
Arizona Sports Shirts ($100 certificate to highest-finishing non-WoO driver): Miley
2015 World of Outlaws Late Model Series Point Standings as of Aug. 23 - 35 A-Mains completed (rank/driver/points/deficit to leader):
1. Shane Clanton 4946
2. Josh Richards 4792 (-154)
3. Chub Frank 4634 (-312)
4. Rick Eckert 4516 (-430)
5. Morgan Bagley 4470 (-476)
6. Tim McCreadie 4468 (-478)
7. Chase Junghans 4394 (-552)
8. Frank Heckenast Jr. 4368 (-578)
9. Eric Wells 4362 (-584)
10. Brandon Overton 4086 (-860)
11. Boom Briggs 4032 (-914)
12. Darrell Lanigan 3860 (-1086)
13. Jordan Yaggy 3626 (-1320)